Monday, July 4, 2011

Addicted to Love

Drugs scare me.  Almost physically.  As a kid, I remember hearing about Len Bias, picked 2nd overall in the 1986 NBA draft.  He died two days later after cocaine stopped his heart.  I don't know if it was his death, or another celebrity OD that did it to me, but I've never been intrigued to ingest, inhale, inject or snort any substance that has a side effect of DEATH.  But that doesn't mean I've never been addicted to other "drugs."

I love Twitter.  It's is an amazing application that helps bring people of like minds, interests, whatever together.  It's a virtual community that keeps me in touch with friends all across the country (and world if I chose) and has introduced me to some new friends, some of which I've actually met face to face.  But it has the potential to do just as much damage as good when abused.

I originally signed on in March 2009 after hearing a co-worker talk about it.  I ignored it for a few months and then began using it originally to contribute for work.  But I started to use it more and more as a social site, keeping in touch with some friends, sharing jokes or the odd musing of the day.  I soon found other people that shared my interests, most notably running and food.  When I finally upgraded to a smartphone, the addiction grew.  I probably checked in at least 10 times an hour, afraid I'd miss something important (read funny).  Most of my conversations centered around running, food or just being a smart ass.  But some didn't.  And that's where the real addiction began.  I used it to escape reality instead of face it.  I'm not a morally-challenged person.  I can tell the difference between right and wrong.  Sometimes I'm just very slow at making the right decision, usually for selfish reasons.  But that's where I'm at now.  I've never had a huge number of people I follow but in the last few days have whittled it down to just over 100 people, restaurants or other companies.  And here is how it breaks down: 54 people I've actually met, 34 places/companies and 15 people I haven't met (I would like to meet those 15, but Conan O'Brien or hurdler Lolo Jones, that probably won't happen).  So after today, I'm taking a break from Twitter.  Maybe for good, I really can't say.  I've enjoyed conversations I've had and some of the people I've met, especially my fellow runners and foodies.  And for those 54 that I have met, it doesn't mean the end of our conversations.  Most of you know how to reach me and are free to if you want to talk or laugh (or groan) at my dry wit.  But it's something that I need to do. 

No comments:

Post a Comment